Here are some of the useful links that helped me when installing and configuring Conky on my Chromebook and also an iMac running Ubuntu Raring Ringtail 13.04.
- Download Conky http://conky.sourceforge.net/
- Conky Configuration definitions/ settings http://conky.sourceforge.net/config_settings.html
- Infinity Theme for Conky http://harshit1990.deviantart.com/art/Infinity-306921086
- Conky Infinity Theme Installation instructions http://www.unixmen.com/infinity-a-stunning-theme-for-conky-ubuntu-linuxmint-fedora/
- XFCE Conky Issue’s Forum http://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=6847
I have way more to say about Conky. I will update this post as a tinker around more.
Update 5-5-2013 5:41 PM PST:
So last night I left my iMac running with Ubuntu. When I came in this morning I found that Conky was using 24% of the memory on the machine? I killed the process and restarted Conky. It is now using .1 – 2% of memory. I will continue to work with Conky and let everyone know my findings. To continue where I left off yesterday, my initial reason for installing Conky was so that I could monitor what the machine was doing in real time as sometimes I would experience some slowness to the iMac. Upon installing and configuring Conky I found the problem to be linked directly to the fact that it only has 1GiB of ram. The machine was consistently running at 85 – 95% memory usage. I have planned to correct this issue tomorrow as someone has volunteered to donate some old ram they have laying around.
I have plans to change the to change the graphic that Conky displays as the overlay. More to come on that later.